Hey guys! Crazy long weekend full of friends and family over here.
We started the weekend off with a bang at Cleveland’s Hofbrauhaus, enjoying mugs of beer, great polka music and dancing on tables. My brother’s band really rocked the house and kept this typical “grandma” out way past her usual cap.
Saturday we built a fire pit in our backyard and invited some friends over for s’mores and raccoon attacks. We were all just chatting around the fire when someone calmly said “Uh, guys, there’s a raccoon sitting next to me.” She really ruined his sneak attack on the marshmallow bag, but that raccoon didn’t give up. He just kept coming back. All. Night. Long.
Sunday we headed over to
my college roommate’s one of my dearest friend’s family home. She was visiting from NYC, and had a bunch of her old farm town Ohioan friends over for a good ol’ backyard BBQ. This night of course also ended with a bonfire and more s’mores. Only this time we really amped it up and went with chocolate filled marshmallows.
By Monday, we were absolutely wiped from summer fun, so after a morning hike, we spent most of the day on the couch. We then headed to my parents for dinner, and ended the July 4th weekend with a piece of cherry pie.
Amongst all of this fun, my most favorite part of the long weekend was Saturday morning. We woke up as early as we could to head out for the first day of blueberry picking season! Together, James and I picked 16 pounds of blueberries.
A little boy picking berries with his mother even came over to James and squealed with delight, “You’ve got a lot in your bucket! You even have way more than my mom has!” The two boys then proceeded to throw blueberries for one another to catch in their mouths. No matter the age, boys will be boys.
So, now I have pounds and pounds of blueberries to turn into delicious – healthy and some not-so-healthy – muffins, breads, cakes and crumbles. The whole shebang.
I’ve of course started a Pinterest Board and thought I’d share some of the recipes in case you decided to add blueberry picking to your list of summer fun too.
- This is the blueberry recipe – an incredibly easy to make dessert, by the way – that I specifically loaded up on blueberries to make: Bread & Wine & Blueberry Crisp.
- Since my brother-in-law and his lovely lady just blessed us with an ice cream maker, I’m more than excited to try my hand at a blueberry ice cream using fresh blueberries.
- A homemade blueberry jam without loads of excess sugar definitely made the list! Cant wait to mix up the usual egg breakfast and spread this on some Ezekiel toast.
- Some blueberry scones from one of my favorite baking bloggers – she even titles them My Favorite, so you know they have to be awesome!
- This is an oldie, but a goodie that you must try: Blueberry Balsamic Grilled Cheese Sandwich.
- For a day when I feel like pulling out the fancy pants, I’ve saved this recipe for Blueberry Zucchini Cake with Lemon Buttercream.
- And then, well…there’s these…