Since we’ve been seeing a lot of my parents lately, and since my dad absolutely loves pie, especially berry pie, I’ve been overindulging in pie as of late. I’m talking like a piece of pie per night – which has totally been killing the workout vibe I come home with, but I just can’t help myself.
So, long story short, I’ve had berry pie on my mind.
I’ve also been itching to make a batch of energy bites, one of my favorite oat-ey, chocolate-y, peanutbutter-y, crunchy snacks. However, I always make the same kind, and I was in the mood to shake things up.
What do you get when you put a hankering for pie and a desire to mix up your energy bite recipe? Blueberry lemon energy bites.
I had to drive through a major snowstorm – my car barely made it up the hill of the road we live on – to grab some of the ingredients for these bites. But, braving the storm was worth it for this afternoon snack. I sipped on some coffee while I mixed and rolled, watched the snow quietly fall outside, and enjoyed an afternoon of me-time and blueberry bites.
These bites had a fairly strong cashew flavor – with just a hint of blueberry, lemon and coconut. Mmm. Mmm. But,
if I were to make them again when I make them again, I’ll probably add a little more lemon and coconut to take down the cashew flavor.
- 1 1/2 c cashews
- 1/2 c unsweetened coconut
- 1/2 c dried blueberries
- 3/4 c medjool dates, chopped
- 1-2 T fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 t vanilla
- pinch of sea salt
- Blend cashews and coconut in a food processor until they become a course meal.
- Add blueberries, dates, lemon juice, vanilla and salt. Process until the mixture forms a dough.
- Taste test and add more lemon or coconut if desired.
- Roll into small balls.
- Roll the balls in additional coconut and lemon zest if you'd like.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.